Facebook Like Box

Saturday, February 5, 2011

To Allstate Arena & Beyond!

Disney On Ice: Toy Story 3


YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY!


We are all for trying new things this winter, and really when better to start than when it’s a herculean effort to get out of the house! Our big new thing? Reviewing children’s events!


Ok it’s not woo-hoo news, but we’re excited. We had to do something, we were starting to run out of indoor play places. Plus, I have a review contest running that I don’t want to compete with.


Our first review: Disney on Ice.


There is something so magical about sharing Disney with your kids. I remember my dad’s excitement whenever we visited Disneyland. He got to be a kid all over again! And I have to say that I felt the same way seeing “Disney on Ice” with my son.


The show was wonderfully executed as we’ve come to expect from any Disney production. It moved at a good clip to keep the kids interested, and threw in some comedy to keep the parents interested; my personal favorite was Barbie working out to the Go Go’s “We Got the Beat.” They blended all three movies into this production so it moved through the narrative very quickly.


The set design was fairly basic, but I think that allowed the audience to focus on the production, especially the wonderfully choreographed dance numbers. The skaters were simply excellent, and showcased some pretty impressive skills. The costumes were good for the most part, although Mr. Potato Head looked a little off and the giant wooden kids from Sunnyside Daycare were terrifying.


Mickey Mouse & the gang opened the show, which absolutely delighted my son. He hadn’t seen Mickey Mouse outside of a television screen, and his smile was ear to ear.


I was pleasantly surprised that the show did not end with “You Got a Friend in Me.” Maybe we’ve heard the song just one too many times, but that was a nice change of pace.


All in all, an excellent production. We highly recommend it for all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment